The word ‘Paleo’ is short for ‘Paleolithic’, which refers to our geological past. Paleo is a reference used to describe a lifestyle that has been discovered to improve a person’s health and wellbeing.
Paleo refers to a diet from the paleolithic times where our ancestors consumed unprocessed, unrefined, nutrient focused wholefoods. A paleo lifestyle predominantly consists of a plant-based diet with 1/3 of the diet consisting of animal foods.
What are the benefits of leading a Paleo lifestyle?
The Paleo lifestyle focuses on food that maximises healing while minimising foods that are harmful. Leading a Paleo lifestyle has been proven to assist many people with losing weight, manage diabetes, mitigate autoimmune disorders, and reduce the risks of cardiovascular disease and cancer.
What foods does the Paleo lifestyle consist of?
The Paleo lifestyle consists of micronutrient dense foods that include:
- All meats (preferably organic, grass fed & pasture raised)
- All seafood (preferably wild caught & ethically sourced)
- Eggs (preferably organic and free range)
- Vegetables (preferably organic and excluding peas, corn and white potato)
- Fruit (preferably organic)
- Nuts & Seeds (except peanuts)
- Herbs & Spices
- Healthy unrefined, unprocessed fats from plants and animals
- Probiotic & Fermented foods
What foods are avoided on a paleo lifestyle?
Foods that cause inflammation, hormone imbalances and foods that affect gut health are avoided on a paleo lifestyle and include:
- Grains and pseudo grains (Amaranth, Buckwheat, Quinoa and Millet)
- All legumes
- Refined and processed foods (refined sugars, seed oils, chemical additives and preservatives)
Not Sure Where To Get Started?
A subscription box suited to your situation is a good place to get started. You can use your paleo products with the confidence that when you need more they’ll be automatically delivered to your door.